Laurel House, built in 1852 by Peter Schutt, opened to provide accommodations
on the top of the mountain that were less expensive than those at the
Catskill Mountain House. The simple colonial-style building expanded
in 1881 and then nearly doubled in size in 1884. In its final form,
this simple building gained a large Victorian wing featuring and cupola
and portico. The Laurel House was a relatively late Catskill survivor,
ceasing operations in 1963 and succumbing to New York State's torch
four years later.